Domain name extensions, also known as top-level domains (TLDs), are the part of the domain name that comes after the dot. So, the domain name extension for "joonweb.com" is ".com." Before you proceed further, remember, there is no universal 'best domain extension' that works everywhere. Domain name extension will totally depend on the type of your website & your own preferences & requirements.
Table of Contents
Top-level domains are classified into two types: generic top-level domains (gTLDs) and country-code top-level domains (ccTLDs)
- The most popular form of domain extensions is generic top-level domains (gTLDs), which include.com,.net, and others.
- Country code top-level domains (ccTLDs) are often used to designate specific nations.
Following the global COVID-19 lockdown, websites have become more vital to enterprises and freelancers. People are increasingly opting for online shopping over traditional brick-and-mortar stores. More than ever, you must select the ideal domain name for your company, personal blog, or portfolio website. But, before you do, there are a few things you consider.
- Choose a domain that is easy to read and memorize. Misspellings, numerals, and hyphens should be avoided.
- Look for domain names that match your brands, such as your name, slogan, or phrases related to your selected niche.
- Select the proper domain extension (often referred to as a top-level domain) (TLD). This option may be influenced by your company's size, industry, and availability.
Which are the most popular domain extensions of 2022?
When it comes to selecting the right domain, familiarity is a good place to start. Look for the most common domain extensions in your industry and select one that corresponds to your brand and consumer expectations. This usually entails selecting a well-known TLD. Here are some of the most popular domain extensions of 2022:
The.com domain extension is the most widely used TLD. It was initially used by for-profit businesses, but it has now become the world's most common domain name extension. The.com domain name extension is used by more than half of all websites on the internet.
Here at JoonWeb and our other businesses, we use the.com domain name extension. When it comes to domain names, the.com extension is the most natural for visitors to fill in. If they are guessing your domain, they will most likely attempt the.com first. If your domain is accessible in .com format, this should be your first pick.
ISPs (Internet Service Providers) and network services were the first to use the .net domain. It has, nevertheless, proved to be the most popular alternative to the.com domain name extension. It's an excellent choice for technology/internet enterprises because it alludes to networks, technology, and other web-based firms.
This domain name extension is used by well-known websites such as Behance.net and Sourceforge.net. You can always buy numerous domain name extensions and point them to your main domain name.
The.org domain extension was developed specifically for charity organizations. However, it is now available to the majority of business owners. This is a common domain name extension used by NGOs, political parties, and website owners that want to portray themselves as a reliable source of information.
The.org domain extension is connected with well-known brands such as Wikipedia, WordPress.org, and others. It's also less common than.com, thus the perfect domain name is more likely to be available.
The .co domain extension is Colombia's country-code domain name extension (ccTLD). It has, nevertheless, grown in popularity as a domain name extension for startups and other web-based organizations.
Because the.co TLD is an abbreviation for firms and corporations, it's easy to see why it's growing in popularity for online businesses. The .co domain name extension is comparable to the.com extension, except it is shorter and more trendy.
The.edu domain extension is reserved for educational institutions and universities. To use this domain name extension, you must run or be affiliated with an accredited educational institution. Edu domain name registrations are managed by a third-party business named EduCause to validate accreditation.
Other common domain extensions-
.info (information) — Use this if your website is solely for information or as a knowledge database. If you're not selling anything, this domain can be a good fit.
.biz (business) - An alternative to.com domains for businesses, but it has some negative connotations due to spammer sites that use it.
.me (personal) – This extension is commonly used for non-commercial personal websites or blogs.
Which Domain Extension Is Best For You?
There are numerous factors to consider while selecting the ideal domain name. Aside from selecting a name that expresses your personal or brand identity and is easy to remember and type, you must also ensure that the register and buy domain extension page is accessible and meets your requirements.
Nobody disputes that (.com) is the most popular top-level domain. But, according to this article, numbers don’t mean much. Finally, you should select the top-level domain that makes the most sense for your specific usage and business.
Consider the following variables while selecting a domain extension:
Consider the following variables while selecting a domain extension:
1. Your Website's Purpose: This is possibly the most critical factor to consider. When you're working on launching a blog, you should think about what your ultimate source of income will be once everything is up and running. If you run an internet business, the a .com or .biz domain might be useful. If the blog is for a business, the.org extension may be a good choice.
Furthermore, if you're just starting a blog to keep an online journal, an extension like .me could be the ideal choice. Regardless, the TLD you select should be informed by the eventual aim of your site in order for the name to be cohesive.
2. Do Not Overlook Local Top-Level Domains (TLDs): With the rise of local SEO, you may want to explore targeting a certain geographical area. There are over 200 distinct country code TLDs to choose from, so you should be able to find something that corresponds to your area. The most common are.us for the United States, co.uk for the United Kingdom, and .in for India.
3. Don't Forget About Search Engine Optimization: If you want your site to rank well, search engine optimization will be a big topic for you. Despite some claims that a .com domain has the best chance of ranking, this is mainly because it is the most popular extension.
Here's Something You Should Know
The ease of remembering a URL is a significant consideration. As per recent reports, with a memorability score of 44 percent, the.com domain extension reigns supreme as the easiest to remember domain extension as of 2022. This suggests that users accurately remembered the.com URL 44% of the time. .co takes second place by a greater margin & .co has a memorability score of 33%. As a result, it's a quarter less remembered than.com. It's quite significant.